Companies and businesses around the world are coming under increasing scrutiny from regulators and prosecutors. They are subject to more stringent compliance requirements and regulation than ever before and the opportunities afforded by high-growth markets bring with them the risk of falling foul of anti-bribery and corruption legislation. Maintaining a first class reputation is crucial.
Our extended experience means we understand the objectives and priorities of regulators and prosecutors in various jurisdictions around the globe. This enables us to efficiently guide clients in reviewing and strengthening their compliance policies and practices, codes of conduct and whistleblowing programs, so as to anticipate and manage the risks facing their businesses. Our combined expertise across a broad range of specialist areas enables our clients to navigate through any type of investigation, achieving strategically and commercially pragmatic results. Our investigation teams help clients manage the risks posed by investigations from antitrust, anti-corruption, financial services and other regulators and prosecution authorities.
We have one of Switzerland’s leading investigations practices. We regularly advise clients on major investigations in Switzerland and around the world and have played a significant role in many of the most important inquiries and regulatory investigations of the past years. We have particular experience of complex, multi-jurisdictional investigations involving multiple regulators, including advising on the proceedings which often arise out of such investigations. On multi-jurisdictional cases, we work closely with and draw on cutting-edge experience of our international network of law firms.
We handle the full spectrum of statutory, regulatory and disciplinary investigations by regulatory or professional bodies and government agencies, including:
- competition investigations - e.g. by the Swiss Competition Commission, the European Commission and other foreign competition authorities
- corporate crime - e.g. corruption inquiries led by the Serious Fraud Office (SFO) and international anti-corruption and sanctions investigations
- financial regulatory investigations - by the Swiss Financial Market Supervisory Authority FINMA, as well as by the US, UK and other foreign financial regulators including cross-border investigations and international assistance proceedings
- tax investigations - by Swiss and foreign tax authorities and enforcement agencies, in particular US IRS and DOJ, UK HMRC and others
Recent practice highlights include:
- assistance and advice to Swiss banks in connection with investigations conducted by the U.S. Department of Justice against targeted institutions and as part of the "Program for Non-Prosecution Agreements or Non-Target Letter for Swiss Banks"
- assistance and advice to banks in the context of the Swiss Libor and other reference rates investigations