Dr. iur., Attorney at Law, LL.M.
Dr. iur., Attorney at Law, LL.M.
+41 58 450 80 00
Dr. Martin Burkhardt is a partner based at our Zurich office and considered a leading lawyer for commercial disputes. He advises and represent clients, both before state courts and arbitral tribunals, and in whatever ancillary or supplementary proceedings that may be helpful for his clients to achieve their overall objectives. This includes interim measures, administrative or penal proceedings, and enforcement or asset recovery proceedings. Martin's advice on defining and executing a legal strategy both in Switzerland and abroad is much sought after. He has extensive experience in financial services, investments and joint ventures, license, agency and distribution agreements, and corporate matters. His experience also includes pharma and medical, energy, media rights, art and disputes about family fortunes.
Professional Experience and Education
2000 Partner at Lenz & Staehelin 1994 Joined Lenz & Staehelin 1989 Assistant to Prof. Dr. Ernst A. Kramer, University of St.Gallen 1996 University of St.Gallen (Dr. iur.) 1992 Admission to Zurich Bar 1991 Admission to New York Bar 1991 University of California Berkeley Law School (LL.M.) 1988 University of St.Gallen (lic. iur.)
Specialist AreasCommercial Litigation and International Arbitration, Private Clients, Tech Startups and Charities
LanguagesGerman, English, French
MembershipsSwiss Bar Association (SAV), Swiss Arbitration Association (ASA), New York State Bar Association (NYSBA), Arbitration Court of the Swiss Chambers' Arbitration Institution (SCAI)
- Burkhardt Martin, Müller Dominique, Haefeli Viktor Manuel, The Securities Litigation Review 2023 - Switzerland, in: The Law Reviews, 9th edition, June 2023
- Burkhardt Martin, The Class Actions Law Review 2020 - Switzerland, in: The Law Reviews, 4th edition, May 2020, 209-211
- Burkhardt Martin, Sgier Angelina, Precautionary taking of evidence in support of current proceedings, in: International Law Office, February 2019
- Burkhardt Martin, Oural Miguel, Tunik Daniel, Müller Dominique, Litigation 2019 - Switzerland, in: Chambers Global Practice Guide, 2019
- Burkhardt Martin, Federal Supreme Court rules on when restitution duty arises and on its prescription, in: International Law Office, August 2017
- Burkhardt Martin, Court decides on controversial issue of mandate agreements and agency, in: International Law Office, October 2014
- Burkhardt Martin, Validity of arbitration clause contained in a player entry form, in: International Law Office, September 2010
- Burkhardt Martin, Supreme Court rules on administration of evidence and the right to be heard, in: International Law Office, August 2010
- Burkhardt Martin, Cost allocation in shareholder claims, in: International Law Office, February 2010
- Burkhardt Martin, Supreme Court Rules on Avoidance Actions, in: International Law Office, August 2009
- Burkhardt Martin, Overview about some key elements of the Swiss court system, in: International Law Office, April 2008
- Burkhardt Martin, Adaptation of Contracts under Changed Circumstances in Swiss Law Practice: Contracts, Arbitration and Swiss Federal Court Practice, in: St.Gallen Studies of Private, Business and Economic Law, Bern/Stuttgart/Vienna 1996
Knowledgeable and tough opponent, who is intellectually goodChambers, 2020
He impresses with his leading litigation work handling complex disputes relating to commercial and corporate finance.Who's Who Legal, 2019
He is very calm, he is really good at negotiating.Chambers, 2018
In terms of defining a strategy, his way of dealing with things is great.Chambers, 2018
Knowledgeable and tough opponent, who is intellectually good
He impresses with his leading litigation work handling complex disputes relating to commercial and corporate finance.
Who's Who Legal, 2019
He is very calm, he is really good at negotiating.
In terms of defining a strategy, his way of dealing with things is great.