Attorney at Law, LL.M.
Attorney at Law, LL.M.
+41 58 450 80 00
Stephan Erni is a Zurich-based partner whose specialist areas include real estate transactions, domestic and international M&A transactions, including public tender offers. He regularly advises clients on domestic and international transactions and on corporate and commercial matters. One of the main foci of Stephan's practice is advising private equity firms in auction processes, both buy-side and sell-side. During a placement with one of New York's major law firms (2005/2006), he gained experience in relevant US areas too.
Professional Experience and Education
2012 Partner at Lenz & Staehelin 2002 Joined Lenz & Staehelin 2005 University of Virginia School of Law (LL.M.) 2002 Admission to Zurich Bar 1999 Universities of Zurich and Fribourg (lic. iur.)
Specialist AreasCorporate and M&A, Real Estate, Private Equity, Public Tender Offers, Banking and Finance, Commercial and Contracts
LanguagesGerman, English, French
MembershipsSwiss Bar Association (SAV), Zurich Bar Association (ZAV)
- Rötheli Andreas, Erni Stephan, Antreasyan Sevan, Trabaldo Togna Federico, Healthcare M&A 2023 - Switzerland, in: Getting the Deal Through, September 2023
- Waser Astrid, Erni Stephan, Foreign Investment Review 2023 - Switzerland, in: Getting the Deal Through, February 2023
- Rötheli Andreas, Erni Stephan, Switzerland unlocked, in: IFLR Private Equity & Venture Capital Guide 2010, Switzerland, 3-6
- Diem Hans-Jakob, Erni Stephan, "Locked Box" beim Unternehmenskauf - Ein (vergangener) Trend oder mehr?, in: GesKR (Gesellschafts- und Kapitalmarktrecht) 3/2010, 354-359
- Rötheli Andreas, Erni Stephan, Private equity in Switzerland, in: S.E.C.A. Yearbook 2010
- Rötheli Andreas, Erni Stephan, Private Equity in Switzerland - Structures and Guidance, in: IFLR Private Equity and Venture Capital Review 2009, October 2009
- Lecture on "P2P-Transactions by Private Equity Firms" at the 8. Schweizer Private Equity & Corporate Finance Kongress dated December 9, 2008.
- Speaker at the "M&A Workshops for Practitioners" in 2012, 2011, 2009, 2008 and 2007 in Lucerne.
He is technically excellent and a very thorough thinker.Legal 500, 2020
Superb M&A lawyerWho's Who Legal, 2020
Extremely versatile, knowledgeable and responsive lawyerChambers, 2019
Clear, proactive and quickLegal 500, 2019
Knowledgeable and pragmatic lawyerChambers, 2018
He is technically excellent and a very thorough thinker.
Legal 500, 2020
Superb M&A lawyer
Who's Who Legal, 2020
Extremely versatile, knowledgeable and responsive lawyer
Clear, proactive and quick
Legal 500, 2019
Knowledgeable and pragmatic lawyer